Sunday, November 16, 2008

Encaustic Works (painted with wax)

Here are some examples of the work I did in encaustics -hot wax. I love working with that medium, especially with the capacity to embed right into the hot wax.

This first one was done on a piece of fence board that my husband sanded down for me. I was able to embed vintage rosary beads, photos, holy cards, etc.



This next one is on a piece of Redwood fence board. Here I put down a layer of clear wax, then a photocopy of one of my favorite paintings (by me), on top of that I embedded the image of Holy Mary from a holy card. I mixed some colors into my wax and extended the greens, etc. onto the wood, drizzling additional wax around the borders. It was so fun to place her into a painting I did in the 1980's!


I created this one at a class that San Francisco's Center for the Book held last year. Got to play with some of their colors. There are layers of photos, vintage doilies and misc. papers also. There is some text right under the wax in the middle, but the camera didn't pick that up. I added the hardware embellishments at home.


No comments: